Choose a Good Domain Name for Your Website
Choosing a domain name is similar to choosing a name for a brand or a company.You have to consider a few things here. Your domain name is your blog or websites identity on the web.
Make it easy spell and easy to type. Don’t make any confusion to your users. If your domain name is too long and complex,there is a chance of mistyping or misspelling it. Try to avoid numbers and hyphens, it is not easy to say your blogs name to others, people who hear your blog address don’t know if you’re using a numeral (7) or it’s spelled out (seven) or they misplace or forget the hyphen. Your domain name is catchy and easily memorable to stand it out from the crowd.
Extensions are suffixes followed by your domain keyword, you may noticed it like .com, .org or .net, at the end of a web address. You need one. Each extension has specific uses, so make sure to choose one that match your blog or website. The .com domain extension is the most popular one, but it is very difficult to get a short and memorable one.
- .com : is a top-level domain (TLD), derived from commercial for commercial organizations.
- .info : is a generic top-level domain (gTLD) for informational sites.
- .net : a generic top-level domain (gTLD) for networking technology organizations.
- .org : a generic top-level domain (gTLD) for non-commercial organizations and nonprofits.
- .biz : a generic top-level domain (gTLD) for business or commercial use.
- .me : blogs, resumes or personal sites.
There are country specific domains (.us,.in) and premium domains are there.
- Short : Shorter names are good as it easy to remember and are easy to type.
- Brandable : Make sure it is easily memorable for all and appears like a band name.
- Memorable: People forget easily, come up with a name that first time visitors to your site are likely to remember.
- Catchy: Your domain name describes what it is meant for.
- Keywords: Identify the right keywords or combination of keywords in your niche. The closer your domain name is to your website’s niche, the better for search engine optimization and traffic to your site. If your website about a specific niche check if there are popular abbreviations that you can use.
You can use instant domain search to find a domain fast. Check for expired domains or deleted domains list to select good domains related to your work (sometimes you may get good short domains related to you niche).
This is the next process, you need to register your domain as early as possible to avoid it registered by some one.